The Hahns

The Hahns

Monday, July 28, 2008

Respect

Respect is a hard concept for many kids to understand. Every year I talk about what it means to be respectful. It's always one of the rules we have in my classroom because it encompasses so many things from not hitting, to not taking other people's property, to taking care of your desk because it belongs to the school, etc. Well, this weekend I learned that there are some adults who are unsure of the meaning of the word respect.
This weekend, we went camping at Mississenewa Lake. It is so beautiful down there with many things to do. We played corn hole, went on a hike, went swimming, took a boat ride, and of course had lots of yummy food. Camping isn't camping without yummy food.
We also had some very disrepectful neighbors who stayed up until all hours talking, laughing, using choice words, etc. I found myself praying that first night that they would just go to sleep so I could go to sleep. Getting angrier and angrier by the minute because they were being so disrepectful to everyone around them. Then the more I prayed, the more I had the feeling to not pray about them, but to pray for them. It seemed to me that they probably did not know Jesus, so I prayed that they might come to know Him and they would then find joy in Him rather than drinking and cursing. Now of course this was no magic button and the next night was more of the same. I was still angry at them for ruining my peaceful camping experience, but I also realized how blessed I am to come home to a quiet house! :)

4 comments:

  1. Yes, respect definitely isn't just for children to learn and understand. The loud music and partying did make it difficult to relax when camping, but i know that it didn't take away from any of the fun i had with you all!!! i am glad you were able to appreciate the quietness you found when returning home...besides the sound of your dial-up ;). love ya lots..m.e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that would be annoying, but i'm glad you had fun when you were away from your campsite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great post and a great reminder that we, as adults, sometimes don't respect each other either. Respect encompasses so much like you said. Again, wow, great post! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you Alicia! They definetely need to learn respect, however I don't think they were ever taught how to respect or to be respected themselves due to their vocabulary. Still, I had such a great time even with my new friend called "THE FLU!" I'd do it all in a heartbeat again.

    ReplyDelete