The Hahns

The Hahns

Sunday, March 08, 2009

One Last Breath...

...and it's home to be with Jesus. Grandpa was disconnected from life support today. The EKG showed little brain wave activity and his kidneys were failing. The nurses unhooked the ventilator and he breathed for a few minutes on his own, but a little after 1:00 this afternoon, he took his last breath. We all prayed with him and told him how much we loved him before he left this Earth. So I'm sure that he is up singing with the choir and holding Grandma's hand. We will all definitely miss him, but we have so many wonderful memories to hang on to.
Here are just a few:
-Grandpa was always a singer. He passed his love of music to his daughters who then passed it down to the granddaughters! :)
-Everytime he'd come down to visit at mom and dad's, he'd never say, "hello" it was always "hoo-hoo."
-When I was younger, and still recently, I always remember thinking how gross it was that he'd always mix all his food together. I'm not talking about mixing the beef with the noodles, but the beef, noodles, jello salad, bread, corn, etc. all together. He always assured me that it tasted the same (even though I never believed it!).
-Whenever someone would pray aloud, he would always join in with a "yes" or a "do it" as his way of talking to God too.
-He always had a story to tell and was always so up to date with things that were going on in the news.
There are so many more things I could share, but I'll stop for now. The funeral arrangements will be made some time tomorrow and Kristina's trying to get a flight home. I know the family would just appreciate prayers. God has definitely called one of his most good and faithful servants home.

4 comments:

  1. What a very sweet post to honor your grandfather! I THINK he was the one I talked to at your "Wrapped in Love" gathering...and if so, he was definitely special and it will be a conversation that I will always remember! He was so social and proud of his family! I hope that is who I talked to or this post makes no sense at all :) Either way, I am sure he is rejoicing in heaven with God and you and your family will certainly be in my prayers during this tough time! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sorry to hear this, but i'm thankful that he knew Christ and is there with Him now and his wife! i'm sure that was a great reunion. I know the last few minutes of you praying with him will be a very special memory that you can hold in your heart forever. you are in my prayers as well as all your family. let me know if there is anything i can do...lesson plans, etc. for you. i will help in any way i can! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorrry to hear about GPA- it is never easy!!! When is the viewing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I promise I did not read this post before I wrote mine for today. They're going to be a little similar. But then again, we are sisters and more alike than anyone else I know, well except maybe Jess and Jenn, they're twins. Anyway, I love the post and I'm so happy to be here with you even though it's a sad occasion. I love you!

    ReplyDelete