The Hahns

The Hahns

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

She's great!

We had a really nice time with Mary this weekend. We picked her up from the Elkhart train station around 7:45 a.m. and needless to say Matt and I were both quite nervous. I'm sure she was too! :) We spent the rest of the morning eating breakfast at Cracker Barrel and getting to know each other better. She taught us to play Cribbich (spelling??) and we taught her how to play corn hole. The afternoon was spent eating grilled Italian chicken salad for lunch and taking naps. She barely slept on the train ride here...and I can't pass up a Sunday afternoon nap! :) That evening, mom and dad and Todd and Cathy came by for a bbq and to meet Mary. We also celebrated her birthday (a few days late). I was so amazed at how comfortable she seemed with everyone. She was so friendly and easy to talk to. All of us slept in the next day and then finished up last minute paper work before our phone meeting with the adoption counselor. We went over hospital procedures, naming of the baby, and legal issues. Then we ate ribs on the grill (which were fabulous!) and took Mary for a "tour" of the area. We drove by the schools and church where the baby will attend. We also stopped by the "grandparents'" houses for a quick visit. And then took her to Amish Acres to learn a little more about the Amish. She had never seen them before! :) Mary took another nap after we got back while I tried to put together the pack 'n play that we got from the Dave Berger family! I know those things are supposed to be quick...but it took me close to an hour to get everything assembled from the changing table to the bassinet! :) I'm sure it will go smoother once I figure out how everything is supposed to be put together!! After her nap we took her out to supper at Steak 'N Shake (one of her favorite restaurants) and back to the train station to depart a little after 10 p.m. She called today around 1:30 p.m. to say she arrived back home safely. All in all, I think she had a good time. It was so nice that she made the effort to travel this far to meet us in person. I hope she feels even more confident in her decision!
Thanks so much for all the prayers that the weekend would go well. God definitely answered!!

7 comments:

  1. What an exciting post!!! She looks very nice and I am so glad that you all really connected! It was extremely nice of her to visit! What an amazing visit for all of you! God is wonderful! Love ya lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post. I am so glad you shared your weekend with us. You all were in our thoughts and prayers all weekend. Mary is a beautiful women and and awesome to to share a life with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad you had the opportunity to meet her before the hospital! she sounds like a wonderful person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really great post! I was so nervous for you guys this weekend whenever I thought about it. I know everything went well and she definetely made the right decision! Only a couple more weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you all were in my prayers and i am so glad everything went so well. i love the pictures and know she saw the love we all see in you!!! love ya lots..m.e.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad Mary finally got to meet some of the coolest people in the world and some of the most special to us! Don't worry, it took me about an hour and a half to put our pack n play together the first time and I gave up on the changing table. One of my friends with kids did it for me while I was in the hospital. :) I guess she felt sorry for me! Anyways, now I can get it set up and broken down pretty well - so well that Mikel says that I look like I have so much fun doing it that he will always let me be in charge of that part :)

    Anyways, sounds like you guys ate pretty well. Just think, this weekend was the first time you got to feed your baby! Isn't that cool?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you guys got to meet her before she was in labor in the hospital! She looks like a nice girl. Hopefully Steven and I will get to meet her too if we can come visit you while you're in Virginia! I know you can't wait to meet your little son and I can't wait to see him either! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete